Yvonne English started her first company at the age of 24. That company, which was eventually sold, was a boutique consulting firm specializing in investments and corporate retirement plans in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Two years after founding the firm, she worked in Toronto, Ontario, Canada as an International Management Consultant for Manulife Financial/John Hancock.
Upon her return to the U.S., Ms. English joined McGladrey, the 5th largest accounting firm in the country. After becoming the company’s number one salesperson and then serving as the Director of the Phoenix office, Yvonne became their first National Operations Director, coordinating the operation of several offices across the nation servicing 5,000 clients with over $7 billion in assets.
While still in Corporate America, Yvonne continued to follow her passion for entrepreneurship. Her side projects included ReEnergy, an alternative energy project in Texas, and Salvagist, an online retailer of stylish accessories made from upcycled materials. Yvonne sold Salvagist to Earth Lover Shopping in August 2010 and then founded Social Animal Media – a new media company specializing in creating websites, social networks, social media sites, and videos for businesses. In 2013, she added a mobile app/website company, BuzzBurrito, to her venture portfolio as a Co-Founder.
Ms. English co-founded the eCenter@LindenPointe, a business incubator, in 2011. She currently serves as the Executive Director of the incubator, which won the 2012 SV Chamber Phoenix Award for Innovation. She is a member of the National Business Incubation Association (NBIA), is a certified GrowthWheel consultant, and has earned her NBIA Business Incubation Management Certificate. She also studied the Lean LauchPad (LLP) with Jerry Engel and Steve Blank at an LLP for Educators Course.
In addition, Yvonne is the Executive Director of the Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation at Grove City College, her alma mater. She also serves as an adjunct professor of entrepreneurship. Additionally, she started a regional college elevator pitch competition and the Oh-Penn for Business College Business Plan Competition, a regional collegiate business plan competition.
Her community involvement includes:
- Rooted Beauty (Advisory Board Member)
- Anderal Technologies (Advisory Board Member)
- Community Connections (Advisory and Operational Board Member)
- Mercer County Career Center (General Advisory Committee Member)
- BC3@LindenPointe (Advisory Board Member)
- Allegheny College Gator Venture Challenge (Judge)
- 2014 Pennsylvania Future Business Leaders of America Leadership Conference (Judge)
- Pittsburgh Tech Council (Member)
- ATHENA PowerLink (Mentor/Advisory Board Member)
- Allegheny Conference (Strategic Communications Committee Member)
- Penn-Northwest Development Corporation (Champion Level Member)
- Shenango Valley Chamber of Commerce (Former Board Member)
- Lawrence Mercer ATHENA International (Former Host Committee Member)
- ATHENA Young Professional Leadership Awards/ATHENA Leadership Awards (Past Judge)
- Beaver County Youth Entrepreneurship VC Fair (Past Judge)
- Kiva.org (Past Translation Team Leader & French Translation Team Member/Active Lender)
Ms. English was named in the inaugural “Top 40 Under 40” in Mercer and Lawrence Counties, and she and her ventures have been featured on ABC (33 WYTV) and on CBS (WKBN 27) as well as in Arizona Woman Magazine, The GeDunk (GCC Alumni Magazine-Multiple Features), the Phoenix Business Journal (Multiple Features), Youngstown Business Journal (multiple print, online, and video), KeystoneEdge.com, Views and Voices Magazine, the Sharon Herald (Multiple Features), the 2012 GCC Annual Report, Kiva B4B, Oh-Penn Magazine, City of Hermitage Community Update, and Pittsburgh TEQ Magazine.
She has been a featured speaker for GCC’s Delta Mu Delta’s 2010 Induction Ceremony, Economics Pennsylvania, “Hope Banquet” (2011), ATHENA International Women’s Leadership Day (2012 & 2013), and the 85 Broads speaker panel on digital marketing for business. She is a member of the Discover Hope Speaker’s Bureau and was the Keynote Speaker for the 2013 NW PA STEM Conference.